Eco-evolutionary dynamics work both ways: (1) contemporary ecological dynamics shaping contemporary evolution, and (2) contemporary evolution shaping ecological dynamics. Most of our research to date has focused on the first part of this interaction (eco-to-evo), and so I won’t list those papers here (they appear elsewhere throughout this webpage). I will instead list some of our efforts most closely focused on the second part of the interaction (evo-to-eco).
Some of our review papers related to eco-evolutionary dynamics
1. Hendry, A.P., and D.M. Green. Eco-evolutionary dynamics in cold blood. Copeia. In press.
2. Hendry, A.P., K.M. Gotanda, and E.I. Svensson. 2017. Human influences on evolution, and the ecological and societal consequences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. Biological Sciences 372:20160028. PDF
3. Mimura, M., T. Yahara, D.P. Faith, E. Vázquez-Domínguez, R. I. Colautti, H. Araki, F. Javadi, J. Núñez-Farfán, A.S. Mori, S. Zhou, P.M. Hollingsworth, L.E. Neaves, Y. Fukano, G.F. Smith, Y.-I. Sato, H. Tachida, and A.P. Hendry. 2017. Understanding and monitoring the consequences of human impacts on intraspecific variation. Evolutionary Applications 10:121-139. PDF
4. Hendry, A.P. 2016. Key questions on the role of phenotypic plasticity in eco-evolutionary dynamics. Journal of Heredity 107:25–41. PDF
5. Kinnison, M.T., N. G. Hairston Jr., and A.P. Hendry. 2015. Cryptic eco-evolutionary dynamics. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1360:120–144. PDF
6. Farkas, T.E., A.P. Hendry, P. Nosil, and A.P. Beckerman. 2015. How maladaptation can structure biodiversity: eco-evolutionary island biogeography. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 30:154–160. PDF
7. Merilä, J. & A.P. Hendry. 2014. Climate change, evolution, and phenotypic plasticity: the problem and the evidence. Evolutionary Applications 7:1-14. PDF
8. Hendry, A.P. 2013. Key questions in the genetics and genomics of eco-evolutionary dynamics. Heredity 111:456-466. PDF
9. Palkovacs, E.P., M.T. Kinnison, C. Correa, C.M. Dalton, and A.P. Hendry. 2012. Fates beyond traits: ecological consequences of human-induced trait change. Evolutionary Applications 5:183-191. PDF
10. Carlson, S.M., T.P. Quinn, and A.P. Hendry. 2011. Eco-evolutionary dynamics in Pacific salmon. Heredity 106:438-447. PDF
11. Hendry, A.P., M.T. Kinnison, M. Heino, T. Day, T.B. Smith, G. Fitt, C. T. Bergstrom, J. Oakeshott, P.S. Jørgensen, M.P. Zalucki, G. Gilchrist, S. Southerton, A. Sih, S. Strauss, R.F. Denison, and S.P. Carroll. 2011. Evolutionary principles and their practical application. Evolutionary Applications 4:159-183. PDF
12. Faith, D.P., S. Magallón, A.P. Hendry, E. Conti, T. Yahara, and M.J. Donoghue. In press. Evosystem services: an evolutionary perspective on the links between biodiversity and human well-being. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 2:66-74. PDF
13. Hendry, A.P., L.G. Lohmann, E. Conti, J. Cracraft, K.A. Crandall, D.P. Faith, C. Häuser, C.A. Joly, K. Kogure, A. Larigauderie, S. Magallón, C. Moritz, S. Tillier, R. Zardoya, A.-H. Prieur-Richard, B.A. Walther, T. Yahara, and M.J. Donoghue. 2010. Evolutionary biology in biodiversity science, conservation, and policy: a call to action. Evolution 64:1517-1528. PDF
14. Pelletier, F., D. Garant, and A.P. Hendry. 2009. Eco-evolutionary dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. B. Biological Sciences 364:1483-1489. PDF
Some of our empirical papers related to eco-evolutionary dynamics
1. Pérez-Jvostov, F., A.P. Hendry, G.F. Fussmann, and M.E. Scott. 2017. Experimental assessment in nature of the ecological effects of a specialist parasite. Copeia. In press.
2. Pérez-Jvostov, F., A.P. Hendry, G.F. Fussmann, and M.E. Scott. 2016. An experimental test of antagonistic effects of competition and parasitism on host performance in semi-natural mesocosms. Oikos 125:790-796. PDF
3. De León, L.F., J. Podos, T. Gardezi, A. Herrel, and A.P. Hendry. 2014. Darwin’s finches and their diet niches: the sympatric co-existence of imperfect generalists. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 27:1093-1104. PDF
4. Derry, A.M., A.M. Kestrup, and A.P. Hendry. 2013. Possible influences of plasticity and genetic/maternal effects on species co-existence: native Gammarus fasciatus (Amphipoda) facing exotic amphipods. Functional Ecology 27:1212-1223. PDF
5. Pérez-Jvostov, F., A.P. Hendry, G.F. Fussmann, and M.E. Scott. 2012. Are host-parasite interactions influenced by adaptation to predators? A test with guppies and Gyrodactylus in experimental stream channels. Oecologia 170:77-88. PDF
6. Carlson, S.M., T.P. Quinn, and A.P. Hendry. 2011. Eco-evolutionary dynamics in Pacific salmon. Heredity 106:438-447. PDF
7. Weese, D.J., A.K. Schwartz, P. Bentzen, A.P. Hendry, and M.T. Kinnison. 2011. Eco-evolutionary effects on population recovery following catastrophic disturbance. Evolutionary Applications 4:354-366. PDF
8. Gordon, S.P., D.N. Reznick, M.T. Kinnison, M.J. Bryant, D.J. Weese, K. Räsänen, N.P. Millar, and A.P. Hendry. 2009. Adaptive changes in life history and survival following a new guppy introduction. American Naturalist 174:34-45. PDF
Back to Hendry lab page.